Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2011

What are you reading now?

I'm always interested in hearing about what people are reading. Seems like you can really get to know someone by looking at their bookshelf, and hearing their thoughts on different authors. Finding common ground in books is a great way to expand your circle of friends. When I became entirely addicted to the Harry Potter books, acquaintances and colleagues at work became close friends as we bonded over lengthy discussions of characters, plots, and what would come next. I've made friends with "that grumpy guy down the street" when I found out he was an equally fanatical reader of Terry Pratchett's Disc World series.

I seem to read in phases - all fantasy for a few months, all vampires for a few months, all lit-fic for a few months. I seem to be in a creepy mountain folk phase right now. I recently finished Ann Hite's debut novel, Ghost on Black Mountain, a Fabulous southern gothic tale set in western North Carolina. Now I'm reading Our Daily Bread. Set in a small town in Pennsylvania, this tale of self-righteousness gone awry takes dysfunctional families to new heights! Talk about a high ick-factor.

So, what are YOU reading now?

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading Elizabeth Berg's "Until the Real Thing Comes Along'. I scored at a garage sale last week. Fourteen books for 25 cents each. I'm in heaven.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete